'If any kid ever realized what was involved in factory farming they would never touch meat again.' - James Cromwell, farmer Hagget in 'Babe'
On the first day of summer, June 21, on Ban Jelacic Square in Zagreb we handed out vegan pies, sandwiches, fruits, muffins and other pastries, encouraging citizens to join the Green Monday campaign, i.e. to eat only plant-based food at least on Mondays. On the same day we launched the Veggie Guide with about 1,000 plant-based products in order to make the purchase of vegan products easier.
We launched the 'Rent a Vegan Buddy!' project in order to give support to everyone who wants to go vegan. Vegan buddies – Gordana, Vedran, Ljilja, Jelena, Mariana, and Alen – will help those who apply by giving them advice and information, escort them to shopping or teach them how to cook; all that to make it easier for new vegans to go vegan!
In collaboration with the town of Biograd na Moru and the animal protection organization 'Anima' we held info stalls on June 13 and 14. And in collaboration with the distributing company RESTART and LUSH, we invited everyone to the projection of the film 'The Cove' which was screened on June 15 at the town library.
Croatian singer Marko Tolja is this year's celebrity in our campaign 'Family to the Seaside, Dog to the Street?'. Billboards with Marko and the dogs Frki and Vasi are placed in nine Croatian towns, while we will distribute postcards with the campaign's ad on our info stalls in Rijeka and Zagreb. Apart from raising awareness about the animal abandoning issue, we wanted to use this campaign to point out the mandatory microchipping of all dogs which came into force on June 19, 2010.
With the action against the killing of animals for botox on July 21 we marked the Day of Fighting Animal Experiments – the anniversary of liberating the beagles from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine in Zagreb. We also launched the petition for the ban on testing botox on animals, thus joining the campaign of the Doctors Against Animal Experiments. We invite everyone to support this initiative by signing it.
On Animal Freedom Day, July 24, we held a workshop of making posters in our office. After the workshop our acvitists walked with those posters through the center of Zagreb, after which they ended up in the Internet club SublinK where they threw a vegan party! How we marked Animal Freedom Day you can see on our YouTube channel.
- In the collaboration with the Shelter for Abandoned Animals of the City of Zagreb in Dumovec we participated on June 19 on Zagreb's main square in the action 'Adopting is Cool.'
- Because of the killing of a python on the island of Peljesac we sent a demand for identification and sanctioning of the owner of that killed python on Peljesac to the local authorities and filed criminal charges because of the torture and the killing of an animal. Also we filed charges against the torture of ponies in Makarska.
- From the news on our web site please check new books The Brown Dog Affair, The Inner World of Farm Animals and Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs and Wear Cows, and the new billboard in our gallery of billboards.
- Each Wednesday, and from the next month on Saturday as well, we can be found on our info stall in Rijeka on Korzo near the Kras store from 10 A.M. to 2 P.M.. You can find out more about our other activities in our Calendar of activities. Apart from volunteers for our info stalls, we need volunteers to work in our office, on the field and from their homes.
- It is a hot summer, so we ask all of you, wherever you are, to leave pots with fresh water for thirsty animals outside. Do not forget, even the smallest act of compassion can save a life!
As you have seen, not even high temperatures stop us in our activities. In order to continue with them, we would ask you to remember us during your holidays and give us your invaluable support. You can help us with your membership in our organization, by volunteering or with a donation in kind, money or service or if you live in Croatia you can purchase from our web catalogue.