Based on the article 11. paragraph, 1. of the Law on organizations (Narodne novine, no. 88/01. and 11/02.) the Assembly of the Organization Animal Friends, held on 22. 1. 2011., have created
STATUTE of the Organization Animal Friends
This Statute arranges: the name, the residence and the area of activity; the representation; aims and activities which fulfil aims of the Organization; way of achieving publicity of Organization work; membership, rights and members obligations; structure of the Organization; joining alliance or organization community and membership in international organizations; organs of the Organization, its structure and competences, the method of making decisions; the property of the Organization, managing benefits, the cessation of organization’s work and treatment of the property in a case of work cessation; other questions regarding the law.
The Organization carries the name: Prijatelji zivotinja. In addition, English title carries the name: Animal Friends. Abbreviated name of the Organization Prijatelji zivotinja is: PZ. Abbreviated name of an English title is: AF.
Animal Friends is the Organization of citizens, that has a non-profit feature of a legal entity with rules, obligations and responsibilities determined by the Constitution, the law and this Statute (in farther text: The Organization). The Organization operates for the common good.
The Organization has its headquarters in Zagreb. Decision on changing the headquarters address establishes the Steering Committee.
The Organization has an ellipse shaped logo with illustrated running rabbit. Above the ellipse stands the title: Prijatelji zivotinja.
The Organization has a rectangular shaped stamp, 37x22 millimetres in size. The stamp contains graphic sign in the centre with headquarters of the Organization (Zagreb) beneath the sign.
The Organization operates in the area of the Republic of Croatia.
The Organization is represented by the president of The Organization, his deputy and the president of the Executive Committee. The Assembly is able to authorize other active members of the Representative Organization.
THE AIM AND ACTIVITIES OF THE ORGANIZATION
The aim of the Organization is the abolition of speciesism, in meaning, any kind of animal abuse, torture and exploitation of animals by humans, animal rights appreciation and achieving biocentrism and sustainable way of living for a common good. To achieve this aim, the Organization will influence these fields:
- breeding and exploitation of animals for human food or for other animal’s food
- breeding and exploitation of animals for fur, skin, wool and silk industry
- breeding and exploitation of animals in cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry
- breeding and exploitation of animals for all kinds of experiments, tests and researches.
- breeding and torture of animals for hunting or fishing
- breeding and exploitation of animals for the purpose of entertainment industry (circuses, zoos, aquariums, hippodromes, dog racing and similar)
- breeding, exploitation and torture of animals, so called pets (dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, parrots and other birds, fish, turtles and similar)
- protection of animals in the wilderness
- protection of nature, environment and preservation of animal habitats
- protection of abandoned animals and assurance of secure accommodation for animals in shelters, sanctuaries or other places which could provide help and protection
- protection of animals that humans currently breed, exploit or keep in their property
- protection of all animals from the individual cases of cruelty
- protection of endangered or protected species in their natural habitats, like protection of those same species when trading occurs and exploitation of exotic, endangered and
- protected species
- protection of environment
- sustainable development, sustainable way of living and sustainable way of eating
- public education, primarily young people about non-violence
- health protection of individuals and society
- promoting right to life for all animals
- rights intended for vegetarians and vegans to insure availability of meals made by their own dietary choice
- promotion of non-violence towards animals and non-violence in general
- development of a modern science
- individual equality based on life beliefs
- standard development of the human dietary culture
- vegan diet
- advancing development of wider social community
- development of democratic society and equality
For the purpose of achieving aims from article 9. of this Statute, the Organization performs following activities:
- encouraging legislators for the purpose of strengthening and securing enforcement of existing laws or bringing new laws and directives;
- direct participation in a construction of modifications and additions to the law and directives;
- raising charges against individuals or institutions for breaking the animal protection law and directives;
- lobbying administration representatives on a state, county and borough levels for insuring animal protection and animal rights;
- recommendation of representatives for animal rights protection to participate in work of advisory bodies upon a state, county and local authority;
- raising a conscious level of society through campaigns related to animal protection, animal rights and their violation (especially raising the awareness of the unacceptable intensive factory farming, animal usage in science research, classes and product research, animal usage in any shape of entertainment, rituals or customs, endangerment of wild animals etc.);
- organizing peaceful protests;
- organizing campaigns for writing protest letters;
- organizing informative stands and distributing promotional materials (leaflets, brochures, books and similar);
- organizing petition signing;
- announcing data and information that are examples of cruelty, announcing list of legal entities that practice and don’t practice experimenting on animals, announcing information regarding vegetarianism, veganism and life without cruelty;
- publishing newsletters about the Organization for the purpose of informing members of the Organization with selected subjects, problems and campaigns;
- publishing books, magazines, bulletins, brochures, leaflets, DVDs, CDs and other information carriers, like any other form of promotional materials from the Organization’s field;
- giving or selling subjects of own production which are related to the field of the Organization;
- organizing public performances, lectures, stands, festivals, non-profit concerts, seminars, courses, film projections and video materials which are related to the field of the Organization;
- participating in local and international meetings which are related to the aims and to the field of the Organization;
- cooperating with other local, national or international organizations who engage in rights and protection of animals or similar subjects;
- joining agreements about cooperation with institutions, communities or individuals from national or international countries, based on the positive regulations for the purpose of achieving function, aims and tasks of the Organization;
- promotion of vegetarianism and veganism as more ethical and more ecological life style;
- animal adoption and encouraging construction of animal shelters;
- promotion of sustainable development;
- advocate for democratic, transparent and equal society;
- representing rights for vegetarians and vegans to have available meals that are acceptable to their dietary choice;
- education on ecological acceptable living;
- promotion of environment protection;
- advocating for development of modern science and exchange of animal experimentations with non-animal methods in scientific institutions, educational institutions and private laboratories;
- promoting equality of individuals based on a life persuasion;
- educating youth about animal rights and animal protection in aim to develop tolerance, respect for differences and youth involvement in society;
- encourage networking of organizations, institutions and individuals;
- education about vegetarianism and veganism as healthy diet;
- protection and promotion of rights for vegetarians and vegans in society
- protection and promotion of rights for individuals who don’t want to participate in animal exploitation;
- collaboration with national, local and international institutions as well as educational, pedagogic and other public institutions;
- education on the issue of speciesism in society with promotion of biocentric system as an alternative to the prevailing anthropocentric system of value.
VISION AND MISSION OF THE ORGANIZATION
Vision of the Organization is elimination of all forms of abuse, torture and animal exploitation by people. Creation of non-specistic world of equality and respect of everyone's right to live in biological, legal and social sense. Gaining good life quality along with sustainable way of living. Ensuring availability of healthy vegan diet to everyone and ensuring complete ecological and ethical awareness.
The mission of the Organization is to become strong professional organization that acts in the area of Republic of Croatia, composed of competent staff and trained activists with firm net of volunteers. Achieve stable management and biggest standard of function quality. Cooperating with public institutions on national and local level regarding animal protection and animal rights, citizen education, human health and diet, ecology and sustainable way of living. Act in the direction of achieving goals through influencing positive legal regulations, their usage on all levels and education. Enable constant growth and development of the Organization in direction of acting for the common good.
PUBLICITY AND QUALITY OF THE ORGANIZATION'S WORK
Work of the Organization is public.
The Organization is accomplishing publicity of its work by distributing own publications through public appearances for the sake of promoting fundamental value and its activities, maintaining different public events, and through media.
The Organization informs members about its work on conferences of the Assembly, whereas between conferences it is informed throughout publications of the Organization, with preservation of informative meeting, workshops and similar. The work of the Organization’s conferences is public.
This statute, strategic plan and abbreviated financial report are published on the Organization’s website.
The Organization pursues assurance system of quality of functioning for non-profit organizations.
Membership in the Organization is voluntary, for all citizens who accept work and aims of the Organization. All Croatian citizens and foreigners, as well as legal entities, with headquarters in the Republic of Croatia or in international country, that are interested in work and/or helping in work of the Organization. International citizens can also be members of the Organization under the conditions laid down in this Statute and by the law. Representative of a legal entity in the Organization is appointed by a person authorized to represent the legal entity.
All members are entered in a member’s book which is managed by a person selected by the Executive Committee.
The Organization issues membership card to members who paid membership fee for a current year. The Organization cannot be represented by a membership card.
Members of the Organization can be active, passive or honorary.
An active member of the Organization is a person that fully accept and confirms aims of the Organization. A person can become an active member based on the decision of the Steering Committee. The Steering Committee has rights to decline request for active membership.
An active member can only be a person who paid membership fee for the current year, and who is a vegetarian or a vegan that promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
Active members participate in work of the Organization, receive notifications about work, publication and program of the Organization, as well as have right to select and be selected in bodies of the Organization.
Active members have right to participate in work of the Organization’s assembly, make decisions and be selected in the management positions.
Passive members of the Organization participate in a work of the Organization and receive notifications about work, publication and program of the Organization, but cannot be selected in bodies of the Organization.
Passive members have right to participate in the Organization’s assembly as an observer.
A honorary member of the Organization can become every individual or legal entity which significantly contributed to the work of the Organization. Every member of the Organization can give a suggestion for honorary membership. A decision regarding this subject is proclaimed by the Assembly.
A honorary member doesn't pay membership fee and doesn't have right to make decisions related to work of the Organization, as well as select or be selected by the Organization's bodies.
Rights and obligations of the Organization's members are:
- participating in a work of the Organization
- requesting help for achieving ideas inside the fields of the Organization’s activities
- being informed about the Organization’s work
- protecting interest, reputation, honor and property of the Organization with self action
- selecting and be selected in all organ’s work of the Organization and bodies of other organizations as well as be selected as representative of the Organization (only active members)
- paying membership fee in the amount declared by the Assembly (only active members)
The Organization commits not to misuse personal information from membership application form. Personal data includes all data that confirms member’s identity (such as name and surname, e-mail, address etc. )
The Organization shall not provide or disclose personal information to the third party, except in cases where it is specifically prescribed by the law. All members information is strictly confidential and are available only to employees of the Organization where such data is necessary for performing the job.
All employees and volunteers of the Organization are responsible for respecting principles of protection of personal data.
Membership in the Organization ends with:
A member can be deleted from the Book of members without specific decision, if member, by the middle of a next year, do not pay membership fee for the current year.
A member may be expelled from the Organization for acting contrary to the Statute, inflict serious material damage to the Organization or its membership, acts contrary to the reputation, honor, and the stability of work and viability of the Organization and elected leadership of the Organization.
Decision about expelling is decided by the Assembly.
Citizenship is the primary user for the activity of the Organization because the aim of the work is informing, sensitizing and educating general public. Through certain projects, users are primarily youth, children, advocates for rights and protection of animals, animal guardians, vegetarians, members of the Organization, local and national bodies, institutions and others. Users of the Organization are published on the website of the Organization.
VALUE AND ETHICAL CODE
Through its work and activity the Organization nurture values of equality, compassion, justice, tolerance and non-speciesism. The Organization acts with aim of promoting mentioned values as basic values on which better and more advanced society is build, in which those values are fundamental for function, growth, sustainable development and common good. With regard of set aims and mission – suppression of all forms of animal slavery and creation of non-specistic vegan world – the Organization will continue its work and development based on those values.
In achieving mentioned values of society and aims, the Organization is based on a teamwork principles, excellence, consistency and professionalism, enthusiasm, hard work and solidarity, with respect for high ethic principles in work as transparency, impartiality and responsibility.
The Organization opposes to any form of discrimination and harassment (either directly or indirectly) to religious, ethnic or national origin, language, race, gender, sexual identity, gender orientation, sexual orientation, origin, property, family and marital status, pregnancy, family responsibilities, age, disability, physical appearance, political orientation and health.
The Organization operates in accordance to the Organization’s Code of Ethics brought by the Assembly, and will be published on the website of the Organization.
The Organization conducts its own volunteer program in cooperation with volunteer centers. In carrying out the same, the Organization conducts the Law on volunteering, Ethic code of the Organization and the Ethic code of volunteers.
The Organization cooperates with social welfare centers, allowing juvenile offenders to perform specific duties.
The Organization also enables performing volunteering hours for participants in educational institutions.
JOINING AND STRUCTURE OF THE ORGANIZATION
The Organization may join any alliance or community of organizations. The Organization may join in an international alliance of organizations. Decision about the alliances is brought by the Assembly on the proposal of the Steering Committee.
The Organization may establish organizational units – branches, that do not have a feature of legal entities.
Branches are established when a particular area on which the Organization operates, have a large number of people interested in work of the Organization.
A decision on establishing branch, name, headquarter, person authorized to represent and terminate work, brings the Steering Committee.
In order to perform professional, administrative, financial and other business, the Organization with professional people can join contracts of employment or join work contracts, depending on the type, scope and duration of a work.
A decision is made by the Executive Committee.
MANAGING THE ORGANIZATION AND ORGANS OF THE ORGANIZATION
The members of the Organization are managing the Organization directly on the Assembly and through chosen representatives in other bodies of the Organization.
The bodies of the Organization are: the Assembly, the Executive committee, the Steering committee, the Supervisory committee, the Advisory committee and the President of the Organization.
For its work the Executive committee, the President of the Organization, the Supervisory committee and the Steering committee correspond to the Assembly, while the President of the Organization and the Executive committee also correspond to the Steering committee.
An active member of the Organization may be elected as a member of only one board, except for the President of the Organization which can simultaneously be a member of the Executive and the Steering committee, but cannot be a member of the Supervisory or the Advisory committee.
Organization's Assembly is the supreme body of the Organization. The Assembly consists of all business capable active members of the Organization and one representative of a legal entity that is an active member. The Assembly works in conferences. Meetings can be regular, elective and emergency. Regular conferences take place at least once a year. Emergency conferences of the Assembly are held as needed, and the elected conferences are held every two years.
The Assembly is convened and managed by the President of the Assembly on its own initiative, and in his absence, by his deputy. In the absence of both members, the Assembly is managed by a person selected by the Assembly.
A conference of the Assembly is convened at least 7 days before it is held.
In a decision on convening the Assembly, the President sets an agenda as a date and a place of the meeting.
The President of the Assembly is obliged to convened the conference of the Assembly when that is required by the Steering committee, Supervisory board, Executive committee or at least 1/3 of active members of the Assembly. If the President of the Assembly or his deputy, don’t convene conference of the Assembly within 15 days of proposer’s request delivery, a conference will be convened by a proposer (that decision must contain request of an agenda, a date and a place of a meeting). Work of a conference is written in minute and permanently stored in the archives of the Organization.
The Assembly on regular conferences:
- brings, acquires and changes the Statute of the Organization
- brings rulebooks and rules of a procedure
- acquires annual report on a financial business activity of the Organization
- acquires annual report on work of the Executive committee and evaluates its work
- acquires annual report on work of the Steering committee and evaluates its work
- acquires annual report on work of the Supervisory committee and evaluates its work
- expresses criterion of warning or exclusion from a membership
- reviews and confirms strategic work plan
- elects and dismisses president and vice president of the Assembly
- elects and dismisses president of the Organization and vice president of the Organization
- elects and dismisses president and vice president of the Executive committee and members of that committee
- elects and dismisses president and vice president of the Steering committee and members of that committee
- elects and dismisses president and vice president of the Supervisory committee and members of that committee
- decides on a cessation of the Organization’s work
- decides on other matters set forth in this Statute
The President of the Assembly and vice President of the Assembly are elected for two years, but can be reelected.
The President of the Assembly and vice President of the Assembly cannot be a person that is not a vegan and who does not promote vegan lifestyle
The President of the Assembly cannot be elected as a member of any board.
The Assembly can make valid decisions if at least fifteen (15) active members of the Assembly are present. Decisions of the Assembly are made by majority votes of present members of the Assembly on the conference. Passive and honorary members can participate in work of the Assembly only through suggestions, but cannot make a direct decision.
The President of the Organization and his deputy are also members of the Executive committee of the Organization.
The President of the Organizationcannot be a president or vice president of any committee of the Organization.
The President of the Organization and the vice President of the Organization are elected for two years but can be reelected.
The President of the Organization and the vice President of the Organization can only be a person that is a vegan and who promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
The vice President of the Organization is also the President of the Executive committee.
The President of the Organization manages work of the Organization in accordance with the law, the Statute and the principles of the Organization and decisions of the Assembly.
The President of the Organization is responsible for legality of work of the Organization to the Assembly and to the Steering committee.
The President of the Organization represents the Organization, initiates discussions on specific issues from the workspace of the Assembly and the Executive committee, submits reports on its work in the Assembly, takes care of informing the public about the work of the Assembly and performs other tasks.
The President of the Organization cooperates as the representative of the Organization with national and local bodies of administration and self-administration as with other institutions.
THE STEERING COMMITTEE
The Steering committee is composed of 5 members. The Steering committee consists of the President of the Steering committee, his deputy and other 3 active members of the Organization.
Members of the Steering committee are elected by the Assembly.
Members of the Steering committee are elected for two years but they can be reelected.
Members of the Steering committee are elected among active members of the Organization. A member of the Steering committee may be a person who became notable by the expertise and the responsibility. The President of the Organization can be elected for a member of the Steering committee.
Members of the Steering committee cannot be employers of the Organization, except the President of the Organization, if he is a member of the Steering committee.
Members of the Steering committee cannot be members of any other board of the Organization, except the President of the Organization.
Member of the Steering committee can only be a person that is a vegan and who promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
Members of the Steering committee are performing their duties without a financial benefit (volunteering).
A member of the Steering committee who doesn't fulfill obligations determined by the Statute and performs obligations unsatisfactory or if his work harms the Organization’s reputation, a member can be withdrawn. The decision on a withdrawal is brought by the Assembly on a proposal of the Steering committee, the Supervisory committee, the Executive committee or at least 10 active members.
The President of the Steering committee convenes and manages conferences of the Steering committee, and in his absence, his deputy. Conferences of the Steering committee are held as needed, at least once a year. The Steering committee can validly decide on a given subject if at least 3 members are present on a conference, and decisions are brought by majority vote from all present members of the Steering committee that are present on a conference. At conferences of the Steering committee, other active members of the Organization who don’t have right to vote, can be invited if they are needed.
The Steering committee:
- manages the Organization in accordance with the law, the Statute and principles of the Organization between the two conferences of the Assembly
- manages the Organization in accordance with decisions of the Assembly
- proposes the Statute to the Assembly as changes and additions of the Statute
- considers and confirms annual Operational work plan
- considers and confirms annual financial report
- considers and confirms the Strategic work plan and proposes it to the Assembly
The Executive committee consists of 5 members. The Executive committee constitutes of the President of the Executive committee and his deputy, the President of the Organization and 2 active members.
Members of the Executive committee are elected by the Assembly.
Members of the Executive committee are elected for two years but can be reelected.
Members of the Executive committee are elected among active members of the Organization. A member of the Executive committee can be a person who became notable by expertise, diligence and responsibility.
Members of the Executive committee cannot be members of any other committee of the Organization, except for the President of the Organization.
Members of the Executive committee perform their duties without a financial benefit (volunteering).
A member of the Executive committee can only be a person who is a vegan and who promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
The President of the Executive committee is also the Vice President of the Organization.
The President of the Executive committee convenes and manages conferences of the Executive committee, and in his absence, his deputy. Conferences of the Executive committee are held as needed, at least four times a year. The Executive committee can validly decide on a given subject, if at least 3 members are present on a conference, and decisions are brought by majority vote from all present members of the Executive committee that are present on a conference. At conferences of the Executive committee, other active members of the Organization who don’t have right to vote, can be invited if they are needed.
The Executive committee:
- fulfills decisions of the Assembly and the Executive committee
- conducts Operational plan which is approved by the Assembly.
- prepares annual Operational work plan which is approved by the Assembly as a report on a work and financial business activity
- takes care of the Organization’s property, fund gathering and ways on investing benefits in the improvement of the Organization’s activity
- prepares annual financial report, Operational plan and Strategic plan of work that are submitted to the Steering committee
- monitors and analyses problems of animal protection and animal rights
- determines needs and possibilities of the Organization for performing economic and other activities
- performs other works in interest of the Organization and her members in accordance with this Statute and the law
- assembles regulations on the Organization's work
The Supervisory committee monitors work the Organization's bodies and solves doubtful questions which arise within the Organization.
Every member of the Organization, by the Statute of the Organization, bears responsibility for own action, and if a member violate rules, he can be excluded from the Organization on the proposal of the Supervisory board.
The Supervisory board is authorized to prevent conflict of interests of officials and members of management bodies.
The Supervisory committee is entitled to consider and adopt sanctions in cases of disloyalty, abuse of the Organization's assets or an identity of the Organization, exceeding authority, unauthorized use and distribution of information of the Organization, or causing other damage to work and reputation of the Organization.
Every active member has the right to object on a work of other members who are elected by the Statute in assigned bodies of the Organization. Complain is submitted by writing on the address of the Organization, with the note ‘for the Supervisory committee’.
The Supervisory committee monitors work of other bodies of the Organization and controls financial reports.
The Supervisory committee can browse and examine books of business and documentation of the Organization, treasury, securities and other documents.
The Supervisory committee compiles and changes Ethic codex and forwards it to the Assembly for acceptance.
Members of the Supervisory committee are elected by the Assembly.
Members of the Supervisory committee are elected for two years but can be reelected.
Members of the Supervisory committee are elected among active members of the Organization. A member of the Supervisory committee can be a person who became notable by the expertise and the responsibility.
Members of the Supervisory committee cannot be members of any other board of the Organization.
A member of the Supervisory committee can only be a person who is a vegan and who promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
Members of the Supervisory committee perform their duties without any financial benefit (volunteering).
THE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
The Advisory committee consists of 5 members.
The Advisory committee has advisory function.
Conferences of the Advisory committee are held as needed.
The Advisory committee helps bodies of the Organization in defining work priorities, program development, implementation and analyzing achieved results.
The Advisory committee also helps with advices and work guidelines in crisis situations, when work and activity of the Organization are disrupted.
An advice from the Advisory committee or from some other member of the Assembly can be requested by the President of the Executive committee, the Steering committee, the Supervisory committee and the President of the Organization.
Members of the Advisory committee are elected by the Assembly.
Members of the Advisory committee are elected for a period of two years but can be reelected.
Members of the Advisory committee cannot be members of any other board of the Organization.
A member of the Advisory committee can only be a person who is a vegetarian or a vegan and who promotes principles of a vegan lifestyle.
PROPERTY AND THE WAY OF GAINING THE ORGANIZATION’S PROPERTY
Activities of the Organization are financed by:
- resources from membership fees and contributions
- founded resources received from national bodies and other organizations in purpose of achieving set up goals
- incomes achieved issuing publications in accordance with the law
- incomes from presents, donations, contributions and similar
- other sources in accordance with the law
Financial business activity of the Organization is led on a basis of valid legal regulations.
The property of the Organization consists of financial resources, real estates, equipment and movable property.
The property of the Organization is used for achieving its program goals and for orderly business activities and work of the Organization.
By an end of a business year a financial report is established.
Financial and material documents which apply on handling financial and other material resources and legal rights are signed by the President of the Organization.
The treasury is kept by a person selected by the Executive committee.
The Organization doesn’t finance, or in any other direct or indirect way supports political parties or candidates on political elections.
A profit achieved by performing allowed activities and achieved from its own property, the Organization will use for performance and improvement of activities which achieve goals of the Organization determined by the Statute.
The Organization will not share incomes or property of a legal entity to its own founders, members or members of management bodies.
THE CESSATION OF WORK
The Organization ends its work in cases predicted by the law. In a case of a work cessation based on a decision of the Assembly the same one brings decision on ending the activity of the Organization by two – thirds vote majority of a total number of active members of the Organization’s assembly.
In a case of the work cessation of the Organization, the Assembly will decide on the property of the Organization on a conference. If a conference of the Assembly do not occur, the property of the Organization will be proceeded to the organization Glas zivotinja. If in that moment the organization Glas zivotinja stops its work, the property of the Organization will be proceeded to the most similar organization.
The Assembly of the Organization can assign appropriate tributes to physical and legal entities that are responsible for achieving program goals of the Organization or for contributing to individual actions of the Organization.
The Organization is not responsible for independent actions and acts of members.
Volunteers, members and other users participate in projects of the Organization on their own responsibility.
An interpretation of regulations of this Statute brings the Assembly of the Organization.
If any regulation of the Statute comes into a conflict with any positive directive of Republic of Croatia, the same regulation shall expire on a date of entry into force of regulations, and instead of that regulation new regulation will be applied in accordance with an applicable directive.
(1) This statute of the Organization begins to act on the date of the enactment, and it applies from the date of entry into register.
The President of Animal Friends