Replacement for Honey
Fruit "honey" recipe:
- 8 medium apples (any variety except green apples)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of sugar (sugar beet or natural brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Cut the apples into chunks and mix in a blender with the water (try to use even less water than specified – it is only to help the blender run smoothly) into a puree.
- Cover a bowl with cheesecloth and pour the apple puree into it. Squeeze out the juice until only the solids remain in the cheesecloth.
- Pour the apple juice and the rest of the ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook for another 20 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- If foam forms fell free to remove it.
- Check for doneness by dipping a spoon into the syrup and letting it cool for a few seconds. Test the density with your finger. If you want a thicker consistency, cook longer.
- Pour the "honey" into a jar. You can store it in the fridge, but it is not necessary.
* You can skip Step 1 and 2 if using pure apple juice.
Honey can in recipes also be replaced with rice or barley malt syrup, maple syrup, agave syrup, molasses, dried fruit or fruit sugar.
Uploaded on: April 24, 2015.